Friday, January 30, 2009

Philadelphia Weather

My miles have suffered these last few days. On Wednesday morning, we had about 2.5 inches of snow, certainly not in the blizzard category, and as the day progressed, the temperatures rose slightly and it rained some.

Now, Philadelphia is in a budget crunch and has significantly reduced it snow plowing operations. Not that these operations were stellar to begin with. Things just went from bad to worse. So, when the cold front came through Wednesday evening, most of the roads in my neck of the woods were nothing but ice, of the kind where tire tracks were left frozen in place. And on many roads around the house here, those frozen ruts are still present, only slowly melting some during the day.

As everyone knows, this makes for some hard running, always trying to pick out a running line when seeing bare spots of asphalt. It reminds me a little of mountain biking on technical single track, where you have to ride your lines. The good news is...I haven't fallen.

Sarah, meanwhile, hates it and my zig-zagging down the roads to avoid icy ruts confuses here. She's more of a "point me in the right direction and let me go" type of dog. And I think she has slipped and nearly landed on her butt more times than I have.

No comments: