Friday, January 9, 2009

Logging and Blogging Miles

I've always been good at logging my miles. No, not logging as in writing in a book, but logging with feet on the ground.

Blogging my miles is a little different. Just not the same writing about running as it is actually doing it. Oh well, I'll keep going.

As a runner, I know that other types of training are important...strength training, stretching, and beer drinking. Regarding the first two, I have always found it difficult to follow some specific strength or stretching program. Still, I find that most days, I can get in at least 100 push-ups, 10 to 15 minutes of stretching, and some other similar training. My formula is simple. Find a natural opportunity and just do something. Last evening, for example, I was warming some red potatoes in the fry pan.. So, while slowly warming, I figure that while waiting, I'd just drop down on the kitchen floor and whip out 50 push-ups. Not very scientific and didn't find this method in any book. Just did it.

I do things like that daily. At work, I always walk up the five flights of stairs to my office. After a few hours at my computer or during a meeting break, I do 4-5 minutes of stretching. Or at home before settling down for the night, a quick 50 crunches before jumping into bed.

It all adds up. As for the beer drinking, I'm logging off now and running to the fridge for a cold one.

No comments: