Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions for 2009

Resolution 1: To run every day of the year. On January 7, 2009, I turn 59. What better way to celebrate this last year of my sixth decade of my life! I will define a day of running as doing at least 1.5 miles. I figure this will be done on my rest day, as I do 6 days a week of serious ultra training, and the low mileage 7th day will be my rest/recovery day.

Resolution 2: To run back to back (Saturday and Sunday) races at least at the marathon distance. I've done 50K ultras on consecutive weekends, but this year, consecutive days.

Resolution 3: To figure out how those running shirts advertised as having "advanced wicking properties" or made with "performance fabrics" actually work. Cases in point. In July 2008, I wore a shirt advertised as having advanced wicking properties. At race start, at 10:00 a.m., it was 85 and sunny, with a high forecasted in the upper-90s. Ten minutes into the race, I was drenched. No wicking...nada. I did a second race where racers were given a shirt made of performance fabric. Again, nothing. I wasn't faster, wasn't stronger, didn't feel anything at all improving my performance. So, in 2009, I want to both wick and perform wearing one of these shirts. Maybe I can find a service manual on the Internet.

Resolution 4: Keep resolutions 1 and 2.

No comments: