Saturday, December 27, 2008

Another 7 Miles Today - All Trails


Sarah and I spent another hour or so on the trails getting in 7 miles. Whenever I run in the Wissahickon, I am always amazed at how few other runners I see. Within the Wissahickon Valley, there are 50 miles of trails. Running largely north/south, Forbidden Driven is about 5.5 miles long...a wide gravel roadway closed to traffic, but always full of runners and walkers. But throughout the entire valley, there are another 45 miles of mostly single-track trails. Here, I can run for hours, and although I will come across walkers and mountain bikers, I'll see very few runners. On the one hand, I think more folks should hit the trails running. But then again, I like having the trails largely to myself.


Sarah never gets tired, or so it seems, while we're out running. I keep her on a leash and she's always in the lead, although occasionally, she's off leash, especially when we have water or other rough terrain to negotiate. Here she is in the Adirondacks with me in August 2008, coming out of the water and ready to go many miles.

1 comment:

Buddo said...

I run those trails every Saturday morning. I sometimes bring my dog. I love the Wiss. and I don't tell too many people about it. It's my little secret. We ought to hook up bro. I live in Ambler. I'm doing low hr training right now so I'm probably no good to run with. I also do almost all my long runs from 4-8 am Saturday mornings so as not to interfere with my family life. Other than that, drop me a line and we can run together sometime. I've run 2 50K's, a marathon in training, and one 50 miler. Greg Lowe, aka Buddo. gregoflowe@gmail.com