Thursday, February 26, 2009

Random Running Thoughts

Sarah and I were out the door at 4:00 this morning for our usual run. Lethargy best explains how I felt for my 5 miles. Sarah, being her usual self, was energetic and she must have put in a mile more than I as she constantly zig-zags in front me, nose to the ground.

Yesterday morning, I was at the dentist and when I was done and ready to drive home, I felt like kicking myself in the butt. You see, driving from the house to the dentist is perhaps 5 road miles. But, I could have picked up a trail 1/2 mile from the house, ran about 3 miles on trails, and would have exited a trail about 1/2 mile from the dentist. I should have ran there. As the visit involved oral surgery, I probably would have walked home on the trails. A lost opportunity, to say the least.

March 1st is almost here and that means more and more spring-like weather. And soon, the trails will soften up and all the green will appear. I especially loving running in the spring. Where I do my trail running, there's a creek that the state stocks each spring with trout. I think the first day of trout season is April 4th. I love seeing all the anglers lining the banks of the creek. It's a sure sign that spring is fully upon us. Also takes me back to my youth in Vermont where the first day of trout season was almost as important as the last day of school.

No comments: